Home » Parents & Carers » Private Fostering

Private Fostering

Are you looking after someone else’s child full time for more than 27 days?

If you are and you are not the parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, brother or sister of that child then you may be a private foster carer.

Situations involving private foster care can include:

  • Teenagers living with the family of a boyfriend or girlfriend
  • Children sent to this country for health care or education, by parents living overseas
  • Children living with a friend’s family as a result of separation, divorce or arguments at home
  • Children at Boarding Schools who do not return to their parents during holidays.
  • Children on holiday exchanges or living with host families for a variety of reasons
  • Children brought from abroad with a view to adopt
  • Children whose parents work unsocial hours
  • Children whose parents are in prison
  • Children whose parents are serving in the forces.

Private Fostering Leaflet:

This leaflet has been designed for anyone who is, or thinks they might be, privately fostering a child in Buckinghamshire. It contains information and guidance, such as the criteria of Private Fostering, the responsibilities of a private foster carer and details of who they must notify. The leaflet can be downloaded by clicking on the following link: Private Fostering Leaflet

For additional information regarding Private Fostering, you can log onto the Buckinghamshire County Council website http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/social-care/children-and-families/fostering/private-fostering/

Alternatively you can contact the Buckinghamshire County Council Fostering Team on 01494 586460 or via email on children@buckscc.gov.uk